Saturday, February 21, 2009

Out of Sorts

It's going to take a lot of coffee to get me going this morning due to being awakened just before 4am by the Harpy dowstairs engaged in a riotous argument with what I presume to be its boyfriend (must consult the guides to ancient literature to discover what male Harpies, if such exist, are called; if such are a new discovery I'll write an appropriate new species description). The affair ranged up and down the apartment- from the bedroom to the front of the apt and back again to the bedroom and included much yelling and screaming, slamming of doors, and throwing of things. Such affronts to ones sleep are generally rare due to the nature of this building. It's old and solid and, thankfully, one can't hear much of what going on either below or across the hall. This speaks much as to the intensity of last night's argument. It ultimately came to the point that I had to bang on the floor with a broom handle which had some effect, though by that point my sleep was so broken it took almost another an hour to drift back off. So at any rate, it's extra coffee this morning to get me going. Of course I'll be firing off an email of complaint to the management company, but this will be done in due time. The initial instinct was to hammer out said email last night, but it most likely would have been less than civil.

I rather don't comprehend the degree of raw fury that was on display last night. This could be due to some personality defect on my part. Arguments are very rare for me and if they do occur, they're more along the lines of a thoughtful discourse, even if it's something about which I feel strongly. I don't get agitated about things, I don't raise my voice, and I certainly don't carry on in an uncivilized manner as the the neighbors last night. This trait has from time to time earned me the appelation of cold, indifferent bastard, which is terribly unfair. Perhaps I'm just a bit more analytical than most when it comes to matters of contention. Whatever the issue is that inflames the passions generally is of very little consequence in the bigger scheme of things and if such matters are of greater importance, they are worthy of thoughtful and civil discussion. Nothing will be solved by screaming and yelling and throwing objects.

No comments: