Friday, October 13, 2006

What's next...

Last night I finished "Child of All Nations," the second volume in Premoedya Ananta Toer's Buru Quartet. Though a very good book. I wasn't particularly fond of the ending. At least when I first read it. But then something uber cool happened. The more I turned the story's conclusion over in my mind following a subsequent reading, the more meaningful and deep it became, particularly in terms of symbolism. So many subtle layers built into that one scene.

The question now becomes what to read next. I'm tempted to continue with the Buru Quartet and move on to "Footsteps," but am also considering pursuing something else, though I don't yet know what. And along those lines, I shall wander off now to pour an alcoholic refreshment and browse the shelves here in the study for the next worthy tome.

1 comment:

Ng3 said...

What I read pretty much depends on my mood at the time or whatever topic has captured my interest. It just so happens that my reading interests lately have been running more towards the...umm... obscure.

I do enjoy the good thriller every now and again. This summer I read both The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons, both of which I greatly enjoyed. I'm also familiar with both King and Koontz and pretty much read everything they had written back in the early college years. Rather enjoyed The Stand and Phantoms.