Sunday, January 29, 2006

Sundry Updates

The quit smoking attempt this weekend unfortunately proved to be a bit…premature. I went from 8pm Friday until around noon today without a cigarette but ultimately the desire to light up outweighed my resolved to quit. I certainly do not see this as a defeat or all that substantial of a setback. I’ve now tested my limits and know what I’m capable of, so that’s a good point for refining the technique for changing this unwanted behavior. Tapering off the number of cigarettes per day will have to be an essential component to the process. So in a way, this weekend was but an experiment; one test in a series of many until the wanted conclusion is reached.

So anyway…

I joined Gold’s Gym during my lunch break on Friday and made the first foray there early this afternoon. The size of the crowd was just about where I like it to be: somewhat busy, but not overly so. As I haven’t been to a gym in ages and more or less just went today to familiarize myself with a new gym, I just stuck with a cardio workout today. I’m planning on just doing cardio over the next week or two until I’m a little more back up to speed and then start adding some of the circuit machines to develop more of a routine. I’m targeting two or three sessions a week at the outset as I don’t want to overdo it and burn out. I’m looking at the long-term here. Progress will be slow (and hopefully steady) as long as I stick with it. The goal now is to develop that necessary routine, to get into the habit of taking the time to go on a regular basis.

9 comments:

Wanting said...

I was told that when you do your routines you should space them out
different ones every other day. I dont mean to sound like a know it all, I just heard its better for your body.

um....good luck...

Ng3 said...

Thanks for the info Kim. I recall something about that. Must check further on this...

boogieman625 said...

I agree with Kim. It is true.

sttropezbutler said...

The cig thing is so weird. I have been off them for about 4 years now...on and off over a life time of smoking....started when I was 13 or so...but if you just keep doing it...and keep remembering how lousy you smell..you'll do it and if you are anything like me, you'll eventually forget about them...except at odds times. LOL

STB

Ng3 said...

STB...Thanks for the comment. Yeah, I agree the cig thing is so weird. The things I'm having the most problem with seem to be those little "triggers" that inspire the need to smoke, as irrational as they are. The main associations are no problem (coffee, relaxing after work, spending time online, etc). I am aware of these and can avoid them...it's those little things that just come flying in from left field.

But then again...when you're quitting, ANYTHING can serve as a trigger. Ugh. I foresee a long weekend ahead.

Wanting said...

Try staying away from CHOCOLATE!

Damn. I need a Hershey...ANYTHING Hershey...

boogieman625 said...

How about H. KISSES?

Wanting said...

you must be really busy....

Ng3 said...

Hi Kim. I've been a little busy (between the gym and shopping for Jeep tires AND a lift kit *evil laugh*) but mainly just haven't been in the mood to post as I've been a bit preoccupied. Issues at work have put me on the verge of tendering my resignation out of frustration. My proverbial ship of idealism has sailed into a hurricane of petty, bureaucratic foolishness. Ugh.

Picked a bad week to quit smoking.