Sunday, March 26, 2006

Randomness

1. Just now back from some errands and a run to the grocery store. As always seems to happen when I have a lot of bags (grocery or otherwise) to carry upstairs, there was absolutely no parking anywhere near my building. Two blocks was about as close as I could get today. Two long blocks and three trips back and forth from the Jeep to my third floor apartment, so the hell with going to the gym today. I’ve already had my workout.

2. Went to Target this morning for assorted things, including some additional cleaning supplies and some assorted odds and ends. Though far from being a truly exciting acquisition, I bought a new mop today. Somehow my old one never made it to my new apartment when I moved here back in August of 2003. Since then I’ve been scrubbing floors the old fashioned way: on hands and knees with a sponge. Obviously this purchase was long overdue and timely in that it’s time for a serious bout of spring cleaning.

3. Have officially given up on reading “1421: The Year China Discovered America.” Will most likely revisit this book when I’m more in the mood for…umm….fiction. Have switched gears and am now devouring Ernst Mayr’s “What Evolution Is.” (Creationist Alert: With the words “fiction” and “evolution” in the same paragraph and within a specific contextual setting, I’m intentionally leaving the door open for your commentary.)

4. Having a small dinner thing tonight for a friend or two (provided pager duty doesn’t interfere with my plans). Am making seafood gumbo which I prepare the traditional way (e.g., not exactly all that healthy) and (probably because it’s not all that healthy) has always been well received. Shrimp, scallops, crab meat, clams, andoulle sausage, bacon, and ham. I feel a heart attack coming on.

1 comment:

Wanting said...

oh no!! Not the evolution theory??

"I'd like to buy an agrument, please..."