Friday, October 08, 2004

Friday Evening

Another workweek comes to a close. Well...almost. I'll more than likely head in to the office for a couple of hours in the morning to take care of some things that I didn't quite finish today. I've long discovered that I can get much more accomplished in a few hours on the weekends than during the typical workday as I don't have to bother with the distraction of my ever-so-gabby secretary, the comings and goings of my other employees, and ringing telephones.

It's been a refreshingly quiet evening and I've accomplished little other than hammering out a few emails, chatting with assorted people on the phone, and the like. I do feel a bit guilty about the "wasted" time this evening, but such downtime is nonetheless important so as not to burn myself out. I have a busy weekend ahead, so I shouldn't feel too bad about slacking a bit tonight.

The most interesting news to report is the finalization of flight arrangements trip for the trip to Thailand in December and January. No backing out now. Due to the scaricty of available flights, the trip will be a bit longer than originially conceived: three weeks instead of two, which is not necessarily a bad thing given the singularly long trip. My longest flight leg to date has been around four hours, so I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to cope with the 13.5 hours from Chicago to Tokyo. I'll be sure to bring a REALLY good book or two and hope the in-flight movies are worthwhile.

Over the course of the next two months I'll begin planning the in-country itinerary. Given my predisposition for outdoorsy, adventurous things, I don't foresee spending too much time in Bangkok. At least a week will be spent touring the provinces to the north with an equal, or greater amount of time on the southern peninsula. If all goes as planned, I'll have an Internet connection for at least part of the time over there, so I'll be able to update the blog, which will probably go something like this:

Day 1: After 384 days in air, arrived in Bangkok. Saw big Buddha statue.
Day 2: Saw another Buddha statue.
Day 3: Chased by elephant. Saw another Buddha statue.
Day 4: Saw another statue. Chased by a cobra.
Day 5: On southern beaches. Saw statue. Chased by jellyfish.
Day 6: Drank toooo much. Saw tiger. Chazed by Booda statatuaue.


1 comment:

Wanting said...

...I'd neeed a lot of drinks for a flight that long...being afraid of flying doesn't help....altho its not the flying that scares me, but the sudden stop on the ground...