Friday, July 21, 2006

¿Soccer or Futball?

Across the street from the apartment amidst this little grove of trees is a basketball court. But it’s a basketball court only in design, this is Central America, after all, and the real function of that concrete slab is that of an impromptu soccer field. Every day around lunch time, fifteen to twenty young Guatemalans suddenly materialize and engage in a rough and tumble soccer game that lasts until 1pm sharp. (I do realize the punctual end of their game on a daily basis totally flies in the face of my observations about the casual approach to time down here, but presumably there is some viable explanation for this, most likely lunch break being over.)

They make the game look so easy. If I even attempted some of their more basic moves, I would necessarily be rushed to the nearest hospital (wherever that may be) probably via a familiar taxi (and arrive covered in feathers) But then again, they’ve probably been playing soccer since they were able to walk. They are supposed to be good.

1 comment:

Wanting said...

I prefer baseball...I understand it...well, mostly...