Sunday, September 03, 2006

Sunday Afternoon

The ecological preserve was rather the mess yesterday as expected. Much of it was flooded and ane section of path was washed out to the extent that it was transversable only with four-wheel drive (weeee!). The Blackwater River had left its banks and spread out through the lower part of the preserve, covering sections of study area (and paths leading to it) under several feet of water. This precluded the possibility of the scheduled fieldwork in that area this weekend. This activity was postponed until next weekend. I still had a couple other things to work on out there yesterday and by the time I left in the mid-afternoon I was soaked from the knees down. Normally dry trails had become bogs and my hiking boots are still drying out.

Due to the postponement of research, today is an unexpected free day and thus far I have spent the time well. As is customary I was up early (sleeping in is a habit not yet aquired) and began the day updating my journal over a couple cups of coffee, followed by the usual weekend activities of a run to the grocery store, assorted cleaning, as well as a trip out to my lab to check up on a few things. I also finished This Earth of Mankind this morning. It has been among the most productive of days.

1 comment:

Wanting said...

sometimes ya just goitta relax...4-wheelin' sounds fun (notice I didn't say anything bad)and getting good and muddy can be just what you need...