Thursday, January 20, 2005

No Pain, No Gain

The snow of yesterday afternoon has all but physically disappeared, but it lingers still in the conversations of practically everyone you meet. It was quite a mess here last night as the snow started falling shortly before rush hour and subsequently turned all major roads into accident-strewn parking lots. I was in class when we suddenly got word that the university had closed (mind you, we had but a light dusting of snow) so all the students could rush out and contribute to the rapidly growing nightmare traffic. And it was most certainly a nightmare. I live no more than three miles from the university and it took nearly two hours to get home and that was with the use of shortcuts.

And more snow is forecast for tonight, tomorrow, and the weekend. Ugh.

Today was a very short workday due to a dental appointment at ten. I finally got around to getting that one problematic tooth extracted. Boy was that ever fun. The procedure lasted nearly two hours due to the implantation of grafting material after the tooth was surgically removed. The tooth was also one of the large ones way in the back (a molar?) so it wasn't exactly in an easy to reach place. The procedure was much more time consuming and a lot more costly than a regular extraction (not a major concern due to solid dental insurance), but the upside to the more elaborate procedure is that I'll have a replacement tooth implanted in the void in about three months.

The subsequent pain was more than a little intense. (My opinoin of this is probably biased since I don't tolerate pain all that well.) I had the luxury of experiencing nearly the full brunt of it due to a pharmacist very slow in filling my Vicoden prescription. When they promise half an hour, they really mean an hour and a half. But one Vicoden later, all is well with the world. I felt well enough a short while ago to wander down to the local video store (a full half a block away) to rent a bunch of movies for tonight and tomorrow if we get snowed in and the office closes.


2 comments:

Wanting said...

....snowed in? Did you buy groceries to go with those movies? We're supposed to get some tomorrow night, but I'm sure not to my satisfaction......which my friends will tell you, is usually the case with anything....

Ng3 said...

We didn't get snowed in (at least not yet). Maybe it will happen this weeked. Snow, freezing rain, and more snow.

I take back all the whining I've done about Virginia getting harly any snow.