Saturday, June 11, 2005

Catching Up

It's been quite some time since my last entry, so I thought I'd take a few moments this morning to catch up on the comings and goings of my life since last I posted. On the level of work and never-ending thesis research things continue to go as well as usual, though now that we're into the summer both have increased seeminly exponentially in terms of time required. This is not a bad thing, mind you, as I prefer to stay busy and productive.

Things have been much more interesting lately on the personal level. I've been single now two and a half month and have truly come to appreciate the freedom to come and go and do whatever I see best. Having the time to reflect, to focus a lilttle more on myself is certainly welcome and in many ways needed. While this may sound a little selfish, it's certainly is not. I'm equally content compromising and taking into account my partner's interests when in a relationship, but it's nice for a change having to answer only to myself.

Well...myself and my cats. They're as demanding as always, perhaps even moreso now since they don't have any competition for my attention. But competition they may soon have. **grin***

I've also paid greater atttention to diet and exercise over the last few months and the effors are certainly paying off. The old familiar angles of my face are reappearing, I'm regaining that tall, lanky appearance, and all of my clothes are getting too big. I went clothes shopping a few weeks back and was absolutely delighted to have to downgrade two pants sizes and one shirt size just to get the new things to fit. Recently I've hauled a lot of my old clothes out of storage and once again they fit, but as they're of the Abercrombie and Fitch (circa 1999) style, they're not particularly suited for 2005. Besides, at 33 I'm no longer in the A & F category and there are few things more depressing than someone too old trying to pull off a look geared for the younger crowd. Despite this fact, it's gratifiying to know that physically I'm almost where I need to be. I calculate that I have somewhere between ten more pound to loose and then I can reinvent my wardrobe. Of course as most of my friends know I have no sense of style, so their input will be most needed. But I have to be mindufl as styles that might work for them may not work for me.

So in the final analysis, I suppose the biggest event over the last few months is that I've regained a better sense of self and balance in my life. No longer are work and academics the all-consuming factors they once were. Certainly they are still important, but there are other aspects, equally important in their own way, that are needed for a happy, full life. It's so easy to get distracted with this or that at the expense of other equally valid components and while I've long recognized this in theory, the practical application has been dodgy at best.

Anyway...I'm off to shower and pay the parental units a visit this morning. Perhaps I'll post again later today if I have time.

1 comment:

Wanting said...

It feels good to be happy w/o someone, doesn't it? I still feel guilty about it sometimes, but I remember how unhappy I was...