Thursday, April 06, 2006

Thursday Evening Prattle

1. I’ve booked my return flight from Phoenix on the 23 of April. Right around three hundred dollars. The funny thing is that round trip tickets (from Phoenix) were actually cheaper. For a brief moment, I entertained the thought of booking round-trip and just not going back. Thought this to be rather unfair, so I didn’t go with that option. By chance has anyone flow U.S. Airways? I’ve never flown with them and am curious as to the quality of service (e.g., unlimited coffee. It’ will be an overnight flight, after all). I prefer to fly with American (for domestic flights), though their prices were four times the cost of U.S. Airways for the same flight. My loyalty only goes so far.

2. Work has been a bit more….umm……interesting than usual. A few long-term employees have determined that longevity is the most important quality for an employee (what a coincidence, eh?) Not really a big deal, but does add some interesting dynamics to the divisional pecking order given the number of new people in my unit (not to mention greater resistance to the ongoing changes I‘m implementing). As they are forgetting such things as talent, motivation, and ability, I pretty much just cut them off at the knees before they get started on their respective monologues in staff meetings. The phrase “I expect your resignation on my desk” still works wonders, though rational, thoughtful discussion remains the preferred option. Nonetheless it’s nice to know I have a fail-safe retort in case civil discussion fails. At times, fear can be a powerful ally.

3. I’m about to have another vacancy at work. My “apprentice” is in the process of acquiring a job with another locality. I’m exceedingly happy for him and am actively encouraging the move, but it will leave a gaping hole in my division that will be hard to fill. Such is the natural progression of things though. You mentor and train someone and sooner or later they move on to bigger and better things. A bit gratifying in a way. However,. must find new, worshipful apprentice to do my bidding.

4. Tomorrow we’re having a departmental “in-service” first thing in the morning. Included in the program are longevity awards (pffft!), for which three of my staff will be receiving recognition for 25, 20, and 15 years of service (for 20 and 15, see point 2 above). Hopefully the in-service won’t take terribly long, but I have this sinking feeling that it will be at least an all-morning affair since the entire department of several hundred people are required to attend.

5. The gym continues to go well and I’m finally seeing noticeable differences in my body. I actually have biceps and pecs now. Am resisting the urge to celebrate with a box of donuts. Was planning on going to the gym tonight, but was distracted by domestic prodcutivity. Tomorrow at 5am is a possibility.....but I wouldn't put mony on that.

No comments: