Monday, August 21, 2006

A Good Day to Quit

It is partly cloudy this early afternoon. The temperature is such that I was able to turn off the air conditioner and open the windows. It's still a little humid, but the fan makes that bearable. Two loads of laundry are...well...laundering, so I am making a litlte progress today, though much more needs to be done. The cluttered study is about to drive me crazy and will received attention this afternoon. I'm about at the point where I want to throw everything out (except for the books) and begin anew.

After weeks (ok, maybe months) of on and off again participation in The Habit, I have decided that today is the day when I will finally and permanently lay down the cigarettes. It is a good day to quit. I have reached that key point of utter disgust with the habit and myself (for not being able to quit) that the only option is to make a change for the better. Being a little under the weather today helps since smoking seems only to exacerbate the general malaise of today. I light up and the headache begins to stir from the shadows of perception, threatening to return. Of course quitting won't be easy, but few things in terms of progress or improvement really are. It's just a matter of staying the course and keeping my thoughts on the bigger picture and not the temporary gratification that comes with lighting up in a moment of weakness. The patch has been on just over an hour, the first few steps on a very long journey.

2 comments:

Wanting said...

GOOD FOR YOU!! I know you can do it...and just to show support, I will give up chocolate...


Oh hell...what was I thinking.


Good luck, darlin'

Anonymous said...

good for u man. quitting addiction is quite hard. it takes a lot of work and dedication; but if u want it bad enough, it would not be too much of a trouble.

x