Sunday, March 22, 2009

In My Shell

A sunny, but cold Sunday morning here in Norfolk. Laundry is just now underway and I'm on the third coffee of the morning. At present today's agenda remains largely undecided beyond laundry and associated chores which I'll get to eventually. Under consideration is a sally to the office to wrap up some things I didn't quite finish yesterday. I'm not super excited as to this prospect as I was there about six hours yesterday even though the plan was for a maximum of three. Working both Saturday and Sunday usually sets the stage for mid-week burnout and there's far too much this coming week's agenda for such to occur. So we'll just have to assess the level of motivation once laundry is done in about an hour and a half.

It seems that I've been in a bit of a rut as of late. The extent of variation in life has over the last couple of months devolved to the point of consisting of no more than long hours at work or solitary puttering about at home. A cursory review of the daily journal reveals that I've allowed myself only one social activity this year and that was meeting up with an old friend for dinner (which probably doesn't technically count since I found the outing so very miserable from the outset that I paid my tab even before the food was brought out, called it an early night, and retreated home with to-go box in hand to read and enjoy blissful solitude). To examine this phenomenon even further, a review of the cell phone bill reveals only one personal (non-work related) call in the past month and that one was simply a quick test of the new Blackberry on Day 1.

From time to time I've been known to retreat into my shell from which no one can drag me, but I don't recall such episodes being as pronounced as the one at present. The interesting thing is that thoughts of socializing on weekends or evenings do not even cross my mind when considering how to spend leisure time. I'm perfectly content to run my errands, make my solitary trips to Barnes and Noble, read my books, cook long and involved dinners for one, and simply be left alone. And woe unto anyone should they dare to disturb the glorious solitude.

So at any rate....off to take care of laundry and start the day.

No comments: