Wednesday, July 06, 2005

One More Year

The humidity this evening is absolutely oppressive; in other words, a typcial summer evening in Norfolk. It feels as though I'm sitting in a sauna, not my study. As I may have metioned in a long ago post, I keep my study door closed due to my cats. They have a passion for chewing computer cords and the like, so to avoid the possibility of computer damage and fried cats (not to mention the research arranged neatly on the lab table behind me), I just keep the door shut. Since my apartment lacks central air, it gets a bit uncomfortable in here late in the day during the summer.

Ah well...just one of the minor annoyances of being owned by cats.

Last week I signed and returned my lease renewal so I'll be here for at least another year. When I received the notice two weeks ago, I considered the possibiilty of moving to a newer building. Perhaps something with central air and heat, washer and dryer in the unit, and reserved parking, all things that I lack. I looked around a little and found a few apartments to my liking, but they were all typical in the sense that, no matter how nice, they're managed complexes and not within walking distance of anything. Despite the minor inconveniences of where I live, the one thing that I do have is location. Simply being able to walk out my front door and be right in the middle of the closest thing to urban living Norfolk has to offer is worth more at this point in life than a few modern conveniences. Restaurants and bars, coffee shops, a movie theater that has a wonderful reputation for playing independent films, and assorted shops of all types within a walk of a few minutes. Can't put a price on this.

1 comment:

Wanting said...

sounds very nice.