Thursday, August 19, 2004

Is It Friday Yet?

Suffering from a slight headache this evening that is probably the result of too much coffee combined with the typical stresses of work. Though it's a far cry from the debilitating migraines that I have on occasion, it's annoying nonetheless, a shadow on the edge of perception.

It has been quite the week at work. Between personnel issues, logistical problems, budgets, and so forth, I wonder why anyone would ever want an administrative position. I certainly do not thrive off of the authority this position provides; rather I see it (and the associated headaches innumerable) as just a part of the natural career progression. I suppose the one thing that keeps me going more so than anything else is having a passion for my chosen field. I've never minded waking early to go in to the office (once I've had my morning coffee), staying late, or going in for a few hours on the weekends as needed. An while there are some days I question my sanity in my choice of professions, such thoughts are fleeting and in the average of things are more than outweighed by the more positive aspects. I recall an old saying (it may have been from a fortune cookie a million years ago) that went: "if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life." This as certainly proven valid over the last few years.

So I guess the keys to happiness are: love what you do and take fortune cookies seriously.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh man. that is too weird with the forture cookie. But i can attest to that kind of weirdness. I followed an "advise" i had gotten from one of those cookies; and now i am dating a wonderful person with a great intellect and a sexy butt; i dont know why his children hates me though: damn isis and kecoughtan!