Monday, August 09, 2004

Please Dress in Forgettable Attire

Today was one of "those" days. I rushed home from the office so I could get some laundry done before going out this evening. Laundry facilities in my apartment are down in the basement and there is never a wait to use them. Except for today. Both washers were full of clothes presumably recently washed. Strategically placed laundry basket on top of the washer, the drier door open with a heavily scented drier sheet already inside. Not a problem, I thought. Work in progress. I'll check back in about an hour and get my stuff going, once the owner begins to dry their things. Besides, I really don't like the idea of digging through someone elses clothes, even if it is only to transfer them to the laundry basket. I would be afraid of stumbling across something that would cause permanent emotional damage.

An hour later I go back down and, behold, nothing had changed. Very curious, I thought. How could someone forget their laundry? Perhaps they were stuck on the phone with some long lost aunt from Utah. So I gave them more time.

An hour passed with no change in status. I was over it. So I placed the laundry basket on the floor and forked all the unmentionables from the washer with a stick. Still kinda damp looking, probably washed yesterday. An hour and a half later when my laundry chore was done, those clothes were still sitting there, forgotten. Perhaps the owner was called away unexpectedly on some emergency.

Or maybe they just ran out of quarters.

Anyway, enough of such nonsensical prattle. I'm off to be productive and promise that I'll write something more substantial next time.


No comments: