Saturday, August 07, 2004

Sleeping In

I crawled out of bed this morning around eight-thirty, which for me is seriously sleeping in. I'm normally up around five-thirty regardless if it's a workday or the weekend, so I feel a bit out of sorts and guilty this morning for the extra three hours worth of sleep. There are probably two reasons why I slept in this morning: 1.) I was up too late last night reading; and 2.) Unseasonably cool temperatures make it difficult to leave the warm confines of the blanket.

I've always enjoyed being an early riser for reasons more than just being first in line at the local coffee shop (Me: "Ha! I'm first! I'm first!!). Rising at an early hour gives me ample time to get myself organized to start the day. Even on weekends when there is usually no pressing issue (e.g., reporting to the office), the early morning hours are nonetheless rewarding on a personal level. Going for walks around the neighborhood as life begins to stir is certainly one of the fondest experiences that I'll long remember when my time here in Norfolk is up. On occasion, I'll make the half hour drive out to the Virginia Beach oceanfront in time to watch the sunrise. It's almost a spiritual experience being practically alone on the beach with nothing but the sounds of crashing waves, the occasional call of a gull, and the Sun rising over the eastern horizon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the Starbucks folk have pondered giving you a spare set of keys to the store. :)

Wanting said...

All you need is a dog...