Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Naming of the Blog

After glancing the Outer Banks of North Carolina and dumping a lot of rain on the whole area, Hurricane Alex now spins out to sea. The most significant impact here in Norfolk was street flooding, so things could have been much worse. And when you own a Jeep, street flooding isn't really that bad a thing. It needed washing anyway.

One of the more challenging aspects of developing this blog was coming up with a suitable title, something reflective of me and my perspectives on life. I tend to be a person atypical of what one would expect of a 32 year old guy of relatively rural Virginia origins. I certainly don't fit into any particular category and I wanted the blog title to reflect this. But then again, how I perceive myself may differ considerably from how friends see me. Hence the challenge. While I trust their judgment, naming the blog is not a committee project. As such, I chose the title most appropriate to where I see myself to be at this point in time. Five years ago the title would have been different with the same being said for two or five years from now. Such is the evolutionary phenomenon known as life. At any rate, "To Whatever End" was among the short list of possible titles that also included:

"River of Life:" wayyyy too dramatic and reminiscent of a Richard Dawkins book on human genetic variability since the dawn of mankind.

"Field of Meaning:" again, too dramatic.

"My Life:" too ordinary, though worked well for Clinton.

"Journal:" Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"The Diary of Anne Frank:" Ummmmmmm...no.

"To Whatever End:" This sums up well my current perspectives on life and, consequently, my humble place in the grand scheme of things. Certainly, this title implies a fair amount of uncertainty, but that itself is the most sublime and beautiful part of life. Not having a road map, open to all possibilities, and no path to follow other than a general sense of where you want to go. Just go, just "be," and make the most out of every moment, whether it's the accomplishment of some goal, or just being alive, aware of the present moment. The end is not important; it's the journey that truly counts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. man u hit it right on the nose. What a brilliant way to think of a title. it is apparent that you are an analytical person and a brilliant writer. It is great to have such brilliance be shared to the public.

Anonymous said...

River of Life: Potential copywrite infringement from Sir Elton John.

Good scribblings thus far, kiddo. Now I have another place to visit during the workday. Your talent is obvious.

Wanting said...

ditto....(certainly better than mine)....thank you