Sunday, August 08, 2004

Martha Stewart Strikes Back

The condition of my apartment has been vexing me for some time now, so today's major goal was to bring things back into order. Not that it was dirty...far from it. Nor was it in a state of disrepair. The problem was twofold: 1.) the accumulation of day-to-day clutter: a pile of books over here, a stack of bills over there, and other little things that seem to have lost their place as of late and 2.) a general feeling of "incompleteness" in the way the apartment was set up. I've been here almost a year and things have never felt quite right. Maybe there's something to that feng shui business after all.

So today was a flurry of domestic activity that would have made M.S. proud: Putting books back where they belong, throwing away bills (Ha! who needs them anyway), and other similiar efforts that have made a world of difference. The most significant impact was rearranging some furniture including moving the dining table (once I located it under a pile of books) and lugging the futon from the study/guest bedroom back to the living room. The advantage of the latter is that I have more room for guests to sit when they visit and now they're not quite as inclined to spend the night. A true win-win situation if there ever was one.

More work remains, particularly with the study/former guest bedroom. If I'm in the mood tomorrow for further domestic endeavors, perhaps I'll leave the office early to finish things up. The study will take some time as it became the "catch all room" soley to deter overnight guests. If it wasn't so late, I would begin working on it tonight, but I want to do some reading before bed. I'm satisfied with the progress today, though. Domestic activity: "It's a good thing."

OK..so Im going to hell for saying that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were going to hell long before you ever said that.

Wanting said...

...at the risk of going to hell for this....I hate Martha Stewart! There...I said it...and I'm NOT taking it back.