Thursday, September 15, 2005

Hurricane Ophelia?? Pfffffffft



For those of us in Norfolk, Hurricane Ophelia has amounted to nothing more than tropical humidity and breezy conditions. I am disappointed. While I certainly didn't want hurricane conditions here, or anything even close to that, some rain would have at least been nice.
So I'm sipping a cup of coffee whilst waiting for laundry to dry. We're down to one functioning dryer in the basement which creates all sorts of delays when more than one person decides to do their laundry at the same time. If they're doing two loads... well it's going to be a wait. Thankfully, the wait this evening was short.

There have been a few new developments on going down to the Gulf Coast to assit with hurricane relief. We were "on hold" until after Hurricaen Ophelia passes and the current thought is that we'll be activated by early next week. But there's also a catch to this. Due to personnel shortages, it has been determined that only one person from my department can go for the two week deployment at a time. Only myself and one of my employees (the guy for whom I've been a mentor....I posted about the whole mentorship thing back in July) are slated to go. I gave this issue some thought today and I'm going to allow him to go first. I've mentored him for years and I think it's time for him to gain his first real humanitarian experience. We've talked about such endeavours for so long and it's his time, his opportunity to act and I suspect the experience will be very muich like my very first humanitarian mission a few years back: he'll come back a changed person, if not a complete idealist. And there will still be ample time for me to go.....but just in a few weeks.

1 comment:

Wanting said...

sorry you don't get to go...the ASPCA let me know in a form letter that I am on the list and they will let me know. Well, I'm no vet...so I doubt I'll be called.