Thursday, October 06, 2005

The Calm Before the Storm

Cloudy mild, and continued very humid this evening. Remnants of Tropical Storm Tammy will be overspreading the area later on this evening bringing rain, rain, and more rain. And then we may even get a little rain on top of that. From the looks of the radar, the wet weather should be rolling in over the next few hours. Looking foward to a few rainy, lazy days.

I'm almost tempted to go back to the office tonight to work on a couple ongoing projects in the lab. The key words here is "almost" and I'm not quite inspired enough to head back to the office; I spend too much time there anyway. But it's so different there at nights and on weekends when no one else is around. No phones, no employees, just the task at hand and wonderful, wonderful silence. Perhaps I'll just go in early tomorrow and get some things done before staff starts to arrive.

Earlier this year I painted my office (ok..I didn't actually do any painting, I had others do it) and generally gave it a very personalized makeover including assorted accents acquired during my time in South America and Thailand. Despite the criticism that it looks like a National Geographic episode, the office turned out well and I've been enjoying the fruits of my....no, wait...other's labor since. The next project will be converting the empty office next to mine into my personal laboratory. I'm already using it in this capacity, though infomally. A long lab table, compound and dissecting microscopes, and trays of assorted microtools and related equipment. It's functional, but it can be so much more than what it presently is. We do have a main lab complete with all the bells and whistles, but it's general use and given the time and space-consuming nature of my projects, a more secure workspace is needed.

Possibilities....so many possibilities.

No comments: