Saturday, December 11, 2004

Making a List and Checking it Twice

No, I'm not doing the Santa thing.

Since vacation starts in a week, it's about time to start thinking about the necessary trip preparations. As there are so many things I need to do between now and then, a list will be essential so I don't forget anything that might impact events (e.g., leaving my passport at home or remembering on January 1st when in some remote jungle that I forgot to pay rent).
Some of the most essential things that must be done this coming week:

1. Make copies of apartment keys and distribute. Several people are getting keys so they can check up on my cats My "children" are exceptionally fragile and sensitive, so having people check up on them from time to time will be essential for their mental well-being.

2. Stock up on cat provisions. I need to procure enough cat food and litter to last three weeks as it would be a rude thing to force those taking care of my cats to buy such essentials.

3. Finish post card list. Between friends, family, school, and the office, there are 23 people who will be receiving post cards during my holiday. Ack!

4. Tidy up the apartment. My humble abode is in a state of disorganization now due to school. Stacks of books and papers all over. The cats like this. I don't. It would be a good thing to come home in January and not face such clutter as the spring semester begins the day after I return.

5. Sorting clothes. For the most part I plan to pack rather lightly and will likely be buying additional clothing over there since such things are rumored to be relatively cheap. Besides, as it's winter here, it's difficult to find shorts and other warm weather clothing.

6. Have regularly scheduled bouts of anxiety. My previous international travel experience is limited to one foray to South America two years ago, so this is still an unfamiliar experience for me.

7. Buy film and find software for digital camera.

8. Get finances in order. As it's essential that I don't run out of money over there and be reduced to borrowing a monk's begging bowl just to get my meals, I need to get the money sources organized.

9. Pay rent. Rather important since I don't want to come home on January 9th to discover all of my possessions in a pile by the street.

10. Buy necessities. Toothpaste, travel-oriented medications, etc.

11. Visit foreign travel clinic at local health department. I wonder if I'll need any anti-malarials since I'll be spending time in rural areas?

12. Dust off passport.

1 comment:

Wanting said...

....don't forget...BIG bowl of water...came back from my trip to N.C. and both were empty...my "kids" were ok...but didn't like the feeling I got when they looked at me in that certain way...(revenge, maybe?) Glad you're feeling better, too.