Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Manager's Memo

Home a little early from the office to finish up a project for class and get some laundry done. The weather here in Norfolk this affternoon is a distraction from both. 73 degrees and partly sunny. Almost like an early fall day and not one to be wasted indoors stuck at the computer.

Though it was a shorter day at work, I got a great deal accomplished and even had time to take my secretary out to lunch for her birthday. She's been working at the office for almost as long as I've been alive and is only two years from retirement. She's been such a wonderful resource, particularly during my first six months and was so important to the more or less smooth transition in management. Since the 1950s, my office has had only five managers and as it turned out, I happen to be the youngest by at least 15 years. I am also the third youngest of my staff of almost twenty, so I faced some unique challenges after taking over last January. It's a natural thing for people to be resistant to change. This was something of which I was keenly aware and incorporated early on into my management style.

It's somewhat difficult to define my style of management as it's always evolving and will vary depending upon the circumstance. So I guess the key here is that I'm flexible, but not to the point of being inconsistent. It's a balancing act. Overall I tend to be the type of manager who encourages employees, offers general guidance if needed, and lets them do their thing with little direct involvement on my part. And I always make it known that my door is always open if they have any problems. The follow are some other elements that make up my style, for better or for worse:

1. Listen, listen, listen. Always be open to new ideas from employees, the public, or administration. No matter how bad the suggestion is, give the person the opportunity to voice his or her opinion. This makes emplyees feel that their opinion counts (which it does) and helps build a team atmosphere which is critical to the accomplishment to the goals and mission of the organization.

2. It's the little things. Always make a point to say "good morning," "how was your weekend," or otherwise compliment each employee every day. Though a little tedious at first, the development of this habit will help build a cohesive working environment by letting employees know that you're not just the guy in the power tie sitting in the big office, you're human, you're approachable, you care. The working environment offers so many opportunities for those little things that can do so much, from buying a employee who's having a bad day a cup of coffee to simply saying "please" and complimenting them on a job well done.

3. Lead by example. Early in my undergraduate years I was a student of military history. Can't stand the stuff now, but if there's one lesson I learned was that the most successful generals throughout history were those who led from the front. The first ones in the trenches. Never have any reservations about rolling up the sleeves and being the first to wade into the thick of a project. Showing your employess that you would never ask of them something you would not do yourself is perhaps the best way I've found to inspire staff.

4. Power corrupts. One of the potentially most noxious thing about a management position is that it comes with a great deal of power and it's so important not to let this power go to ones head. Everyone has heard stories or has experiencedpower-hungry mangers who lord over their employees like some Central American dictator, but without the shirt full of metals and a firing squad on hand. I don't think I'll ever have this problem as I absolutely hate being in charge of anyone and don't have access to any weaponry. I accept leadership almost as a necessary evil, the result of the natural career progression.

5. I got your back. Never leave your employees high and dry no matter how badly they've screwed up. If everyone is calling for their head on a silver platter, defend them to the best of your ability given the circumstances. Even the worst of mistakes (as long as they're honest mistakes) can be turned into learning opportunities. Never tell them that they "really screwed up." Chances are that they already know it and pointing it out doesn't help matters. Work with them as a colleague in overcoming any challenges they have and its a safe bet they won't make the same mistake twice.

Certainly I still have a lot to learn about this whole management thing and will incorporate elements into my style as they prove to be effective or will eliminate things that do not work. Like everything else in life, it's an ongoing process.

2 comments:

Wanting said...

god...come work with me!! We need someone like you....and I love being a peon...so I'm the perfect (well..ALMOST) perfect employee.....

Pete said...

right on - welcome to the management game. The best advice that I ever received was "listen, listen and listen some more."