Monday, December 13, 2004

Quack, quack, quack

Last night was rough. The sore throat intensified to a rather dire level which was only exacerbated by laying down. It was the strangest thing: while sitting up, the condition was bad, but bearable. Once I crawled into bed, things intensified to the point where I could not lay down without wincing and engaging in bouts of (Warning: obligatory geek reference ahead) raspy, Ringwraith-like shrieking. As such, I more or less wandered about in the dark of my apartment and from time to time attempted to sleep whilst sitting in a chair. Somehow I managed a few hours of broken sleep and sallied forth to the local witch doctor first thing this morning.

The visit to the doctor's office was a bit surreal. His diagnosis (which he delivered during breaks from his standup comedy act with his office staff audience) was a rather acute case of tonsilitis. No real surprise here (maybe he should stick with comedy and leave medicine to the professionals). He popped into the examination room only once or twice and didn't even give me the opportunity to ask questions before he was off elsewhere. He disappeared for the longest time (possibly talking to his Hollywood agent) and I thought they had forgotten about me until tired old Odessa shuffles into the room bearing prescriptions. (That may not have been her name, but she reminded me of an Odessa who lived across from me at an apartment complex long ago). So at my request she retrieved the doctor and I finally got a chance to ask my questions. (Whats the average annual rainfall of the Amazon basin? Did Abraham Lincoln ever own a dog, and if so, what was it's name? Why am I asking so many questions?) I was given prescriptions for antibiotics and these uber cool painkillers, so if all goes well I'll be feeling better as the week progresses. As an added bonus, I'm staying home from the office a couple of days to rest. This may or may not be a good thing, depending on the boredom level. But I have a lot to do so I shouldnt get to the point where I expire from ennui.

(As an aside, I wonder what's up with all of my asides (bracketed in parentheses) today. Maybe it's the medication).

2 comments:

Wanting said...

...hope you feel better soon...

Ng3 said...

Thanks Kim! I have five days to get well or it's going to be a long, miserable flight. We'll see how it goes. I may have to try your tea/lemon idea after all. :-)