Monday, December 27, 2004

Streets of Bangkok

First of all I want to let everyone know that I'm alive and well. I was here in Bangkok when the quake/tsunamis occurred a few days ago so I avoided all of nature's fury much further to the south and in fact was completely oblivious to it all until late that day when passing a TV at a local shopping mall. Very sad occurrence.

Otherwise I'm doing very well. I spent most of the morning wandering the streets of Bangkok simply taking in the sights, sounds, and smells of a city, a way of life far different from my own. Most of the street vendors nearby have set up "shop" for the day and are peddling things from amulets and assorted trinkets to foods of all types. I was quite happy to discover a fantastic western-style coffee house just around the corner from where I'm now staying so my caffeine addiction is sated, at least for now. May wander back down that way sometime in the early afternoon to finish a few more postcards or just watch the river traffic while enjoying an early afternoon coffee. It was quite nice there this morning, seated on the riverside patio watching river traffic of all sorts move up, down, and across the river.

The number and variety of street vendors are one of the most remarkable observations of Thailand thus far, particularly those selling food. Most of my meals have come from such vendors and the quality of food is exceptional in terms of price and quality, as long as one overlooks some of the potentially less than sanitary elements. Given my public health background/educational training, I've been cautious when dining in such a manner, but not to the point where I deprive myself of what may be some of the best food I've ever tried. Seemingly the basic criteria for a good street vendor meal are few: a moblie cart, a heating source, and a few basic ingredients. So far I've suffered no ill effects that I'm aware of, but again, I am going about this will a little caution.

One little thing of note is that my love of hot, spicy food has served me well here. It seems that many Thais are not accustomed to a Westerner being able to tolerate the hot and spicy food preferred by natives. I've managed just fine and have outdone some of my Thai acquaintances in this respect. It's kind of amusing that they show such concern over this Farang (foreigner) encountering a dish that may do him in ("No..too spicy for you. Order something else."). But this has yet to happen and by now I doubt it will.

4 comments:

Wanting said...

WHEW! All I could think of when that hit was you....glad your're ok and able to stay on your vacation! Apparently you love coffe like I love pepsi.....

Wanting said...

is it me, or does "Streets of Bangkok" sound like an 80's song?

Wanting said...

is it me, or does "Streets of Bangkok" sound like an 80's song?

Wanting said...

sorry...chocolate makes me jumpy...