Friday, December 03, 2004

Friday Evening

And so another busy workweek comes to an end and I must shift my productivity this weekend to wrapping up the semester. A major seminar project will occupy most of my time over the next two days. I've gotten most of the background research and reading done; all that remains is outlining the seminar and putting together a Powerpoint presentation which I will go over a million times between before the actual presentation on Thursday. Perhaps this isn't the most enjoyable way to spend a weekend, but it's necessary and will ultimately be a benefit realized when I can hang the masters degree diploma next to my autographed picture of Martha Stewart.

OK...just kidding about the Martha Stewart picture. I'll probably hang the masters next to the bachelors degree instead.

And speaking of hanging pictures...one of my projects after the first of the year will be to reinvent my apartment. I can't paint my walls lest the leasing agent become cross and hit me with a stick, but there's still a lot I can do to make the place a little more welcoming and comfortable. Like getting a sofa. I've been using an ancient futon that I've had for about six or seven years and the time for its retirement is growing near. The one problem here may be my two cats who have a bad habit of sharpening their claws on anything that doesn't move, including me if I stand too long in one place. Declawing is cruel, so I'll probably just go with something less expensive (and NOT leather) and if they shred it over time, so be it. I'll probably also invest in some wall art (a sensible thing since most of my walls are bare) and proper lighting. Little things like this will probably go a long way towards making my place a little more liveable.

The one problem is going to be my singular lack of decorating ability which is a long running source of mirth among most of my friends. While I've had to endure years of their mockery, I'll nonetheless be able to tap their ability to assist with various decorating ideas. Let's hope the old saying that charity beings at home (MY home) will prove true.

No comments: